Sunday, September 15, 2013

Jack O'Lantern Bunting - Free Pattern - Stash Buster Project

I needed something colorful to add to the right side of my front porch that was a Halloween project.  I thought about it and thought about it and decided to whip out some Jack O'Lantern squares to make a bunting.  I decided on the Jack O'Lantern because I wanted to use orange yarn instead of yellow.  lol  Crazy, right?  I'm just glad that I'm using up the yarn in my stash and also having fun making some decorations for my yard and home.  :)
 The first square in design mode.
 The last square that I stitched together.
  The finished bunting before hanging up.
What it looks like on my front porch.  I think I need to tweak it a bit yet.  I just hung it up and since it's going on midnight, it's obviously dark outside.  Oh well, it still looks pretty good.

Jack O'Lantern Bunting - Free Pattern

Red Heart WW yarn in Pumpkin and Black
size I crochet hook
yarn needle for weaving in ends

Squares (make 4)
with orange yarn, ch 20.
1- sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. 
2- ch 1, turn.  sc in each st across.
3 thru 20- repeat row 2.
at the end of row 20, do NOT fasten off, ch 1, work 2 sc in corner st, sc evenly down the side, work 3 sc in corner st, sc evenly across the bottom, work 3 sc in corner st, sc evenly up the side, work 3 sc in corner st, sc evenly across the top, work 1 sc in the corner st and join with a sl st to 1st sc made.  fasten off, weave in ends.

Eyes (make 8)
leaving a tail for sewing and with black yarn, ch 7.
1- sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across.  (6)
2- ch 1, turn.  sc dec, sc in next 2 sts, sc dec.  (4)
3- ch 1, turn.  (sc dec) twice.
4-  ch 1, turn.  sc dec.  fasten off yarn, weave in THIS end.

Mouth (make 4)
leaving a tail for sewing and with black yarn, ch 16.
1- dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next ch, ch 2, sl st in next 3 chs, ch 2, dc in next 2 chs, ch 2, sl st in next 3 chs, ch 2, dc in next 2 chs, ch 2, sl st in last ch.  DO NOT FASTEN OFF, turn work upside down and work along the bottom of the chs.  sl st in next 3 chs, ch 2, dc in next ch, ch 2, sl st in next 4 chs, ch 2, dc in next ch, ch 2, sl st in next 3 chs.  fasten off yarn.  leave the tails for sewing.

Position the eyes and mouth where you want them on the squares.  Use the yarn tails and the yarn needle to sew the eyes and mouth to the squares.  

To attach the squares together, I held one strand each of the black and orange yarn together then...ch 50, sc evenly across the top of the 1st square, ch 15, sc evenly across the top of the 2nd square, ch 15, sc evenly across the top of the 3rd square, ch 15, sc evenly across the top of the 4th square, ch 50.  fasten off yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment