Saturday, January 5, 2013

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

I will be gone all afternoon and evening, once again.  So, tonight's dinner is in the crock pot.

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts  (I used a 3 lb. bag of these)
1/2 Tbsp. salt (I didn't use this)
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. ketchup
6 oz. frozen orange juice (thawed)
4 Tbsp. brown sugar

Mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and ketchup.
Place the chicken in the crock pot.
Pour the sauce over it.
Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3.

Serve with rice and vegetables.

Edited to add.....
The smallest can of orange juice I could find was a 12 oz. can.  So, I just doubled the other ingredients for the sauce.  Since I'm using a large quantity of chicken, we'll probably need the extra sauce anyway.
Also, in case you are wondering, the sauce is very thick.

Edited to add....
After it's been cooked, I have the following observations to share:
1.  The chicken is really moist.  That's a good thing.
2.  It has an extreme orange taste.  Some of my family liked this, some didn't.  So, next time, I will use half the orange concentrate and add a bit of water and see how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment