Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dinners....Wed., Thurs., and Fri.

Last night, Wed., I made bacon wrapped cheese dogs.  We had chips on the side (out of the pantry).  The hot dogs were very easy to do.  I preheated my oven and put the hot dogs on my broiler pan so they wouldn't be sitting in the drippings.  I cut a slit in each hot dog, making sure not to cut all the way through the hot dog or through the ends.  Then I put a small amount of shredded cheese in each slit or pocket.  After that, I wrapped a piece of bacon around each stuffed hot dog.  I baked these until the cheese melted.  My only complaint was that the bacon needed to be crispier.  The rest of my family liked the bacon this way though.  Small T took one of these bacon wrapped cheese dogs for her lunch at school today.
I also took the leftover baked pork sirloin chops and made a small shepherd's pie.  Big C took some of this to school for lunch.  Basically, I took the chopped up chops and a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a half of can of milk and mixed them together in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish.  Then I drained a can of peas and put them on top.  I made 4 servings of instant mashed potatoes (I had the garlic ones) and spread them over the top of the peas.  I baked this at 350 degrees F until the "gravy" started bubbling.  Then I added a bit of shredded cheese to the top of the potatoes and put it back in to melt.  That's it.  Big C loved it.  He had a bit of it after arriving home from basketball practice last night.
Edited to add.....
As you know, Big Daddy follows a low sodium, low fat diet.  I used every low sodium, low fat product I had on hand to make the bacon wrapped cheese dogs for him.  This includes whole wheat buns.  Now, the kids had normal hot dogs, bacon, etc. for theirs.  The chips were Baked Ruffles.  Not the healthiest choice for a side dish, but it's my belief that in order to keep Big Daddy on track with eating a healthier diet, every once in awhile I need to fix a "regular" meal for him such as hot dogs, sloppy joes, etc. or he won't stick to it.

Tonight, Thurs., is the chili/soup supper at school.  I'm making the vegetable soup for this at this very moment.  So we'll be having dinner there.  They usually have chili, vegetable soup and potato soup.  There are a variety of desserts available along with a veggie tray and peanut butter and crackers.

Tomorrow, Fri., it's homecoming at school.  We'll be having a quick meal there.  Either hot dogs or pork burgers.  Both are grilled.  Big Daddy will be having the pork burger.  He just doesn't know it yet.  LOL  If I have any vegetable soup left over, then we'll have that after the games if anyone is still hungry.  Knowing the kids, they will have friends over after the dance, so I'll probably be cooking a few frozen pizzas out of the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment