Sunday, November 8, 2009

Christmas Is Coming

Christmas is coming and I'm getting into the spirit of things quickly. On Nov. 1st, we put up our Christmas tree. I know, I know....we got it up really early this year. But with the kids involved in sports plus all the school activities and also my working back out at the farm during the pecan season, things are very, very hectic around here.
Yesterday, my husband completed the "putting up" of all the outdoor lights and decorations and I finished up all the Christmas cards that we will be mailing out.
We have simplified the list of cookies that we will make for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays this year by purchasing the buckets of pre-made dough from the kids' fund raisers this past month. We will make a few extra goodies like peanut clusters, dipped marshmallows, chocolate covered pretzels and buckeye balls but most of these items will be given as gifts.
About three or four weeks ago, we had our annual family meeting (those that live in our house get to vote) and we decided on the Thanksgiving and Christmas menu's. Thanksgiving will be a traditional meal of turkey and ham and all the trimmings. Christmas will be non-traditional and will consist of steaks, twice baked potatoes and a variety of other favorite dishes that we seldom have.
I am diligently working on the homemade gifts that I will be giving out. I'm getting more and more of the gifts done and now I just have a couple of afghans left to crochet and one altered book to make. The baked gift items will be made closer to the actual gift giving time. I'm sure that somewhere between now and then, I will decide on a couple of more gifts that I want to make so I have to leave myself plenty of time to do them in.
My mom has been over to visit several times this week as she needed to view our Christmas decorations so she could start getting in to the spirit herself. She has had a small tree the past few years and has decided to go all out again this year with her bigger tree. Even my sister Marie has gotten into the spirit of it all and has put up her tree early as well. She said it was a huge relief to have it up already as she also has a place to put all the presents she's been buying early. Our whole family gets into the shopping early thing and then we put the presents away so no one will find them and we all have a tendency to misplace something and not be able to find it when it's time to bring them out. I still haven't found the poster we bought for our daughter last year. *sigh*
So, what are you doing to get ready for Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment