Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sugar Cookies

Small T has ventured into the kitchen again.  This time to make sugar cookies for her "not a boyfriend" as part of his Valentine's Day gift.  She started them on Thursday, but due to time constraints and extra-curricular activities, she wasn't able to finish them until after school yesterday (before the bus left for the ball game).  I think she did a really good job and the only thing I helped with was the icing.  I made that just because she needed to get ready to leave.
If you don't know much about Small T, let me say this....she's not had a lot of experience in the kitchen.  I try to get her in there, but she's not interested.  When she does take the notion that she wants to make something, well....we do it, no matter what.  I think she's able to bake chicken, make a grilled cheese, cook Ramen Noodles (sort of), bake a frozen pizza (if there's someone around to take it OUT of the oven), etc..  I ended up getting quite tickled at her yesterday when she was telling about some of the friends giving her heck over baking cookies for Hayden.  I guess it was a conversation stopper at the lunch table as everyone was shocked to hear that she was in the kitchen.  While she was telling me about this, she makes this statement, "I don't know why they were giving me heck.  In fact, I fancy myself as more of a baker, not a cook."  Now...this may not seem funny, but honestly, the way she said it, and the fact that she just doesn't cook (or bake), was hilarious.  However, my laughter was contained INSIDE my body.  I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings.  Nope.  No Way.  Anyway, the cookies were made and they were great!  I've even got the recipe out to share.

Sugar Cookies
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. powdered sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour

Cream butter.  Mix in powdered sugar.  Add egg and vanilla.  Blend.  Add flour, a bit at a time, until mixed in.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 2 to 3 hours.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.  Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out cookies.    Place cookies on greased cookie sheets and bake for about 8 minutes.  You do NOT want to let these cookies get brown on the edges.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Icing
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 capful of vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
small bit of milk to make it creamy

Mix it all together.  It makes a very thin icing.  If you want it thicker, just keep adding powdered sugar.

**We placed wax paper under the wire racks of cookies before icing them.  Then, Small T spread the icing on the cookies.  The extra icing dripped off onto the wax paper.  No mess to clean up.**

No comments:

Post a Comment