Sunday, November 25, 2012

Upcoming Segment

Beginning at the New Year, I will be adding a weekly segment to my blog.  It's going to be a weekly grocery challenge.  I worked for several hours on this yesterday, getting some of the preparation for the segment finished.  I pulled out a lot of my basic recipes along with some quick and easy recipes, crock pot recipes and recipes I've been wanting to try out.  These recipes will be the back bone of my kitchen frugality and keeping to them is going to be important otherwise I won't be able to live within the guidelines I'm setting up for myself in regards to the grocery spending.
I will also be cooking more items from scratch.  Particularly bread items.  With Hostess going out of business, our local grocery store has been without bread items for 2 weeks now.  It's a 30 mile drive to a store to purchase bread.  I refuse to make this trip unless I'm already going to this town for an appointment or something and that's maybe once a month.
The reason I'm adding this segment to my blog is that I am all about living a more frugal life but I have posted very little about this topic on my blog.  To go with that, the Winter, along with the beginning of the New Year is always a struggle for us financially.  So I'm really going to have to watch my budget in order to keep the family afloat during those tough months.
I would like to have others follow along with me.  If you are interested in doing so, please send me a post.  I would love to follow your progress as well.  My basic prep work before starting this involves setting up my basic recipe file and then the day before I start I will take an inventory of what I have in my pantry, freezers and refrigerator.  I've also started saving my weekly sales ad (beginning this week)  from the grocery store so I can see if there is a pattern to the sales each week.  I have one grocery store available to me, which is our local one called Prenger's.  IF we are ever in another town where there is an Aldi's or a Wal-Mart, I will do a bit of shopping there as well.  Otherwise, I will be shopping exclusively at Prenger's for our food.  They have some good sales each week, and for the most part, that's all that I purchase.  For those that are doing the challenge with me, you'll have other stores available to you and I look forward to seeing the great deals you'll be getting.
So....with all that said, I hope this challenge will turn out well.  I'm sure I'll get tired of it at one point, but you never know.  In any event, I'm going to stick to it.  That will be my New Year's Resolution.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment