Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Vacation Approaches

Christmas vacation is rapidly approaching. Tomorrow, school gets out at 11:20 am. The kids will be home until school restarts on Jan. 4th (I think). Whatever that Monday is after the New Year. I will have to take the time later on to look at a calendar and find out for sure.

So I got to thinking about what am I going to do with the kids for the next couple of weeks and I came up with the following ideas:
1. They can help me make the Christmas candy. We will be making peanut clusters and dipped pretzels.
2. They can help me bake the Christmas cookies. I have 5 types to bake up: M&M, chocolate chunk, oatmeal raisin, snickerdoodles, and white chocolate macadamia. My youngest son is in FFA and they sold fruit, etc. a couple of months ago and I bought 5 of the tubs of cookie dough. So I only have to bake the cookies instead of mixing the dough up as well. It's a huge time saver.
3. We are going to dust of the games and break them out of the closet for some fun gaming.
4. Several of them need to read during the holidays for their AR points at school. My daughter just started a series that she's been dying to read and she's finished the first book and is chomping at the bit wanting to start book number two. The series is called "The Vampire Academy". I've already read the first three books and I'm going to be buying book #4 after the new year when we go on our annual book run to Barnes & Noble. My youngest son is reading the "Fablehaven" series and he's almost done with book 1 and needs to start book 2 during the vacation time so he will have a head start. He's a bit of a slow reader and he seldom finds a book that he likes and finishes, so this series has been a life saver.

This is my list so far. I don't want to overdo it with finding things to keep them busy as I know they will want to just be lazy for most of it. The kids are very busy during school with sports, activities and of course, homework, so I feel that they need time to regroup and recharge. I'm the same way as I am frequently worn out just keeping up with them.

So, with all this said, I wish all the other mothers out there a Happy Christmas Vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment