Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Book Nook

Over the past week, we've had a lot of snow and we spent most of the time cooped up inside the house. That's the perfect time for some reading, in my book. I started out with a few Harlequin romance books. One of my sisters brought me several boxes of these. I have to say that there's nothing like a good romance novel every now and then. It's so comforting to sit down and lose yourself in one for awhile.
My daughter had picked out a couple of books from a new series the last time we went to Barnes & Noble. She hadn't read them yet and was wanting to know if I had. Since I hadn't, I got them down off the shelf and started to read the first book. I loved it! The first book is called "Moonlight" by Rachel Hawthorne and it's from the Dark Guardian Series. Believe it or not, but this series is not about Vampires. This is one is about werewolves or shapeshifters. The second book is called "Full Moon" and I loved it as well! The third book is called "Dark of the Moon" and I will be trying to purchase it when we go to the mall on Friday. This series is a Young Adult series and I enjoy reading them just as much as I do an adult series of books.
Then I read a couple of the books that I got for Christmas. The first one is called "Magic to the Bone" by Devon Monk. It's the first book of a series. The next two books are called "Magic in the Blood" and "Magic in the Shadows". I do not have these two books as of yet. The book that I read, "Magic to the Bone", is not about a witch, instead the book is about "Magic". It was a good book but not a great book. If asked, I would probably give it three stars out of four.
The next book I read was called "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. Several times last year, I picked this book up to buy it and then didn't. So I was really surprised to get it as a gift. I want to say that this book is NOT something for young adults to read. In fact, I detested this book. The first two pages were of a shocking sexual nature and by the time I finished reading the book, I realized I would not be continuing to buy and read the rest of the series. I do NOT recommend this book at all. It's amazing how someone can take a movie "The Wizard of Oz" and flesh it out by making up a history for some of it's characters and do it in such a bad way. If asked, I would not even give it one star out of four. I am 43 years old and in those years in which I was reading, I have only found two books that I detested and this is book number 2.
So those are the books that I have read lately. I received several other books as gifts as well, but I've not started on those yet as my daughter is reading them. They are "Hunted" and "Tempted", books 5 and 6 of the House of Night series. She is working on book 6 as I type. I wrote about these in a previous post. We love this series! Of course, it's about Vampires!

1 comment: