Thursday, December 29, 2011

Crochet Tree Ornament (Free Pattern)

Christmas is over, but I'm already thinking about Christmas 2012. I just love Christmas, can you tell? I was so busy making gifts this year, that I didn't have much time for making ornaments for the tree. So, I sat down last night and fiddled around until I came up with this ornament. I rather like it! And with the plain body of the ornament, you can stitch any design you'd like on it. For this one, I did a simple snowflake or star. I will leave the interpretation up to you. So, without any further delay...here is the free pattern.
Crochet Tree Ornament (Free Pattern)

Materials:
Red Heart WW yarn in a couple of colors
G crochet hook
yarn needle
fiberfill

The Circular Body (make 2)
1- Make a magic circle, ch 1, 6 sc in circle, join with a sl st to 1st sc. (6 sc)
2- ch 1, 2 sc in each sc around, join with a sl st to first sc. (12 sc)
3- ch 1, sc in same st, 2 sc in next st, *sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, repeat from * around, joinn with a sl st to first sc. (18 sc)
4- ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, *sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat from * around, join with a sl st to first sc. (24 sc)
5- ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, *sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st, repeat from * around, join with a sl st to first sc, finish off. (30 sc)

The Design
Using a length of coordinating yarn threaded through the yarn needle, stitch a design on the front of one (or both) of the circles.

The Edging
1- Holding the backs of each circle together with the designs facing up, sc evenly around the outer edge of the circles, stuffing with fiberfill before closing up the circle. Join with a sl st to the first sc. (For my edging, I sc in the first 4 sts, then put 2 sc in the next st.)
2- Picot Edging- ch 3, sl st in 1st ch, picot made; then *sl st in next 2 sts, ch 3, sl st in 1st ch, repeat from * around, sl st to join, ch 20, join with a sl st, fasten off, weave in ends.

For an extra bit of whimsy, I took some of the red yarn, threaded through the yarn needle, and ran a running stitch around the edge of the ornament directly below each picot stitch I made.

And that's it. My free pattern for a Crochet Tree Ornament. Hope you enjoy making them!
Shelly

2 comments:

  1. Your tree ornament is very pretty - thanks for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! and you're welcome. i love adding new patterns to my blog and i'm happy to share them.

    ReplyDelete