Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tree Garland (Free Pattern)

Since the weather has turned colder, I've got Christmas on my mind. Christmas is my favorite holiday/time of the year. I love the whole "spirit of Christmas". I prefer the "homemade/handspun" feel of holidays past and I try to incorporate this into my yearly gift giving and decorating. This being said, I am thinking of doing a less commercialized Christmas tree this year and decorating it entirely with handmade/homespun items. This led me to think of garland and ornaments. I sat down with my yarn and hook, pencil and paper and messed around until I came up with this pattern. My household has a big tree, so I need lots and lots of garland. I also need something that will stand out and not be lost among the tree branches. So...that calls for a more substantial garland. When finished, this strand of garland is quite lengthy, but I will still need to make more of it.

I like the substantial base of the garland along with the lacy type of edge.

This is the entire strand of it.

Tree Garland (Free Pattern)

Materials:
Red Heart worsted weight yarn in White
I crochet hook

(You can make this garland any length that you want by chaining a multiple of three plus one.)

chain 511.
Row 1- sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across.
Row 2- ch 1, turn. sc in each sc across.
Row 3- ch 1, turn. *sc in next 3 sc, ch 4; repeat from * across. Finish off; weave in ends.


2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that you could also use it for a triming around an afghan too. It looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete