Sunday, September 18, 2011

Star Ornament (Free Pattern)

Since I'm thinking about Christmas, and have come up with a garland pattern (see previous post), I decided to mess around and come up with a substantial ornament that still has a homespun quality about it. This is what I came up with.

This is a close up shot.

These are the four that I've made so far. I wanted to stick with a red and white color scheme this year but my curiosity got the better of me and I tried a couple of them out in another color just to see what it would look like. These are rather large ornaments, so keep that in mind when making them. I have a really big tree each year, so I want something that will stand out among the branches.

Star Ornament (Free Pattern)

Materials:
Red Heart worsted weight yarn
I crochet hook

Chain 6. Join with a sl st to beg ch to form a ring.
Round 1- ch 2 (counts as a dc), 11 dc in ring. join with a sl st to top of ch 2.
Round 2- ch 8 (counts as first dc plus ch 6), sk 1 dc, dc in next dc, *ch 6, sk 1 dc, dc in next dc; repeat from * around; join with a sl st to 2nd ch of beg ch 8.
Round 3- ch 1, work 1 sc in same st, into ch 6 space work (4 dc, ch 3, 4 dc), *sc in top of next dc, work (4 dc, ch 3, 4 dc) in next ch 6 space; repeat from * around; join with a sl st to 1st sc made; ch 20, sl st into same st (1st sc). finish off, weave in ends.

Note: The ch 20 makes a good sized hanger for the ornament. You can adjust the size of the chain to make the hanger any size you'd like. I like the bigger "hole" myself.

2 comments: