Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hackey Sack - Free Pattern - Stash Buster Project

I made some Hackey Sacks for a few young guys in my family for Christmas.  I used some of the Peaches & Creme 4 ply cotton (worsted weight) out of my stash for these, so that makes them Stash Buster Projects!!!!!!!!!  Woo Hoo!!!!!!  It's a very simple pattern and I'm sharing it at the bottom of this post.
 I had Medium J (my resident hackey sack guy) take one outside and mess around with it so I would know if it was the right size and weight.  He said it's "good".
 They fit right in the palm of your hand.  Not too big, not too small.
These are the ones I've made so far.  I'm pretty much known in the family for making these and I get requests all the time.  So...after a few years of not making any, the guys are going to be pleasantly surprised, I hope.

Hackey Sack - free pattern

WW crochet cotton
size G crochet hook
filler - I used a bag of great northern dried beans from my pantry
yarn needle.

1- ch 2.  work 6 sc in the 2nd ch from hook.  join with a sl st to 1st sc. (6 sc)
2-  ch 1.  work 2 sc in each st around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (12 sc)
3-  ch 1.  work 2 sc in the first st, sc in the next st, *2 sc in next st, sc in next st; repeat from * around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (18 sc)
4-  ch 1.  work 2 sc in the first st, sc in each of the next 2 sts, *2 sc in next st, sc in each of the next 2 sts; repeat from * around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (24 sc)
5 thru 7- ch 1.  sc in each st around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (24 sc)
8- ch 1.  *sc2tog, sc in each of the next 2 sts; repeat from * around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (18 sc)
(I filled the hackey sack at this point.  don't fill it completely full though.  leave some gap for the beans to move around.  you can always add a few more beans before closing it completely off if you don't have enough in it.)
9- ch 1.  *sc2tog, sc in next st; repeat from * around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (12 sc)
10- ch 1, *sc2tog; repeat from * around.  join with a sl st to 1st sc.  (6 sc)
fasten off, leaving about 6 inches of cotton to work with.  thread the end of the cotton onto a yarn needle.  weave the cotton through the last round of stitches and pull to close the "hole".  weave in the cotton to secure and fasten off.  that's it.  you've now finished the hackey sack.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment