Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Scrapbooking Class

I wanted to post a bit about the scrapbooking class that my daughter, my sister and I took a week ago yesterday. It was the first time we had attended a class like this and we are all three new to scrapbooking. The cost was $10 per person and the "class" was from 10 am to 6 pm and you could stay all day or just for a while. When we arrived, there were grab bags for everyone. Plus lots of tables in the classroom so each person could have their own table to work at. We all brought projects to show so that got us into the hourly drawing or give away of scrapbooking supplies straight off the store shelves. The whole idea of the day was to come and scrapbook and work on your projects without interruptions from the kids, the husband, etc.. But while you were there you could sit in on the demonstrations being given of new techniques and products. We got to practice using rub-on's (and keep the extra's) as well as use spray tint to color chipboard cutouts (and got to keep the ones we "made"). There were also a cricut set up for our use as well as lots of different die cuts, stamps, and other products for our use while we were there. There were also free refreshments. By the way, my daughter won a clear stamp set with the base. I won a set of ribbons and my sister won a set of brads. We ended up taking home more product from the winnings and grab bag than we spent on the class. Our grab bags had flower embellishments in them along with journal cards, tags, small pieces of paper, and much more.
I am really glad I went as I learned a lot from these ladies. There were a lot of great tips and ideas and I actually learned how to make my own scrapbook from start to finish. It's about an 8x8 size and I made the cover, put the pages together, punches the holes to bind it and then ran ribbon through to not only embellish it but hold it all together. I'm very proud of it. The book is titled "Give A Girl A Camera" and features 10 photos that my daughter took of herself in the car (with my digital camera) while I was driving us from one campsite to the next this summer during our big camping vacation in June. I guess when you're really bored, if you have a digital camera and are a 12 year old girl, you can easily amuse yourself. LOL
The next class is in October and this time it will cost $7 each since we attended the first class. If you don't miss a class, then you will continue to pay the $7. If you miss one, you will pay $10 for the next one you go to. I am looking forward to attending the next class and I can't wait to see what all new things we will learn.
I also wanted to share the best tip of the day (in my opinion). We live in a rural area so we all have hunters and fishermen in our family. So rather than putting these pictures in your yearly albums, this lady has one album dedicated to hunting and fishing photos. By using the smaller sized album she has spotlighted each photo. She has also used outdoor themed papers and embellishments so it retains a masculine feel to it. And it's easy for the guys to pull out when they feel like bragging.

No comments:

Post a Comment