Yesterday, I finished my latest pattern called the Homespun Doll Blanket. I call it Homespun because I'm using up my little balls of scrap yarn, giving it that homemade feeling that I just love.
This blanket includes various types of yarn, such as Caron's Simply Soft, Bernat Baby Coordinates, Lily Sugar 'N Cream cotton, etc.. I chose several balls in various colors that I thought worked together. The darker stripe is actually a darker purple. There's lavender, white, blue, pink, dark purple, and a variegated pastel cotton. Since all of this yarn came out of my stash, this is a Stashbusting for Stashaholics project. Yay!
This blanket is knitted and has a crocheted border.
Here's what I did:
I took all my small balls of yarn and starting with one of them, I tied another ball to it, rolling it up into a bigger ball as I went. By the time I was finished, I had all the colors tied together and wrapped up in one big ball. When I was knitting the blanket up and reached the end of the yarn ball, I had to add a little bit more yarn, so I suggest having a few "extra" balls of yarn laid out to the side in case you have to do this too.
I used a set of size 9 straight knitting needles and a size G crochet hook.
To begin, cast on 80. Knit each row for the entire length of the blanket. My blanket measured 18 inches across and 18 1/2 inches long BEFORE I added the border.
The border is 4 rows of sc, with a (sc, ch 1, sc) in each corner. I worked 2 rows of light blue, then 2 rows of lavender. The 5th row of the border was a decorative one. I did a (sl st, sk 1 st, 5 dc in next st, sk 1 st, repeat around) border and at times I did have to fiddle a bit to make the stitch pattern work out nicely for the corners, which was 9 dc in the ch 1 space in the corner. But you can't tell that I skipped an extra stitch here and there.
So, that's the basic pattern for my Homespun Doll Blanket. I have LOTS of small scrap balls of yarn and I've already rolled up my next big ball of yarn for another one of these.